World Footwear

Events

Simac Tanning Tech 2023: paving the way for a digital and sustainable transition

Dec 7, 2023 Italy
Simac Tanning Tech 2023: paving the way for a digital and sustainable transition
The international exhibition of machinery and technologies for the footwear, leather goods and tanning industries demonstrated the vitality of a strategic sector for the Italian economy, committed to a digital and sustainable transition
Held between the 19th and the 21st of September in Milan, Simac Tanning Tech officially returned to pre-pandemic levels, demonstrating the innovative capacity of a sector that was the leading European exporter in value last year. The latest edition’s figures illustrate this upward trend.

The Milan Rho’s premises welcomed in September 320 exhibitors and 6 500 buyers, reflecting an increase of 14% and 37%, respectively, on a comparable basis to the 2022 edition. In addition, 60% of the buyers were Italian, while the remaining 40% came from abroad, in particular, from Turkey, France, Germany, Portugal, Brazil, Mexico, Spain, Tunisia, and Asia. The increasing focus on innovations and services that can help create sustainable production ecosystems was highlighted in the 2023 edition of Simac Tanning Tech.

“The international attendance of visitors and the attention of technology manufacturers towards process organisation and digitalization confirm a significant change of pace towards a sustainable transition. We are certain that this road shared by all operators in the sector will soon generate satisfying results”, commented the President of Assomac and Simac Tanning Tech, Maria Vittoria Brustia. 



The results of this year's international exhibition are also evidence of the importance of the sector to the Italian economy, as well as the recognition of the country’s savoir-faire around the world.

The aggregate leather sector (tannery, footwear, leather goods and technology) employs a total of more than 130 000 people (4% of the Italian manufacturing sector) and generates more than 30 billion euros in turnover and an added value of 6 billion euros. As for international trade, the value of exports of the four supply chains in 2022 amounted to approximately 27 billion euros, up by 15% as compared to the prior year.  Of these, about 45% were footwear and 40% leather goods, with Europe, the United States, South Korea and China among the top destinations.

In total, the trade balance is around 15 billion euros (1.7 billion for tannery, 7.2 billion for leather goods, 5.4 billion for footwear and 300 million for technology). “We are talking about a 'national champion'”, concludes the organisation.

The next edition of Simac Tanning Tech is already scheduled to take place from the 17th to the 19th of September 2024, again at Fiera Milano Rho.  



For more information about Simac Tanning Tech please visit their website by clicking HERE


Image Credits: Assomac

Related Events

  • Jun
    11
    Jun 11-Jun 14, 2024 | Florence, Italy

    Pitti Immagine Uomo

  • Jun
    15
    Jun 15-Jun 18, 2024 | Riva del Garda, Italy

    Gardabags

  • Jun
    15
    Jun 15-Jun 18, 2024 | Riva del Garda, Italy

    Expo Riva Schuh

  • Jun
    15
    Jun 15-Jun 17, 2024 | Milan, Italy

    White Milano Resort

Related Organizations

  • Accademia Riaci

    Accademia Riaci

    Italy
  • AICC - Italian Leather Chemists' Association

    AICC - Italian Leather Chemists' Association

    Italy
  • Assocalzaturifici - Italian Footwear Manufacturers' Association

    Assocalzaturifici - Italian Footwear Manufacturers' Association

    Italy
  • Polimoda - International Institute Fashion Design & Marketing

    Polimoda - International Institute Fashion Design & Marketing

    Italy