World Footwear


Impact of COVID-19 in the supply chain

Impact of COVID-19 in the supply chain
In the latest edition of the World Footwear Business Conditions Survey, we asked our experts about their opinion on the impact that the COVID-19 pandemic had on the location of footwear production for major international brands

When asked about the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the location of footwear production for major international brands, our panel members do not hesitate to recognise it.

While 19% of respondents believe that international brands did not change the location where they source footwear, the other 81% divide almost equally between alternative answers: 40% consider that international brands now prefer to disperse production by more countries than before (diversifying the supply chain) and 41% that international brands now prefer to locate production closer to consumer markets (shortening the supply chain).

Saying this, one must underline that there isn't still much statistical evidence of such movements in the footwear industry.

Do you want to read more?
Get access to the full report with all the conclusions


If you are not registered yet, you can log in with a social network or create an account
It is easy, free and quick - and it will allow you to unlock all our Premium contents


Executive Summary
Business Context
Health of the Business
Employment Level
Retail Channels
Expectations about the Evolution of Footwear Consumption in 2024
Footwear Consumption to Increase 9.5% in 2024
Impact of COVID-19 on the Location of Footwear Production
About Survey

About the Survey

In 2019 the World Footwear has created the World Footwear Experts Panel and is now conducting a Business Conditions Survey every semester.

The objective of the World Footwear Experts Panel Survey is to collect information regarding the current business conditions within the worldwide footwear markets and disseminate this information to provide an accurate overview of the situation of the global footwear industry.

The ninth edition of this online survey was conducted during the month of November 2023. 

We have obtained 118 valid answers, 41% from Asia, 32% from Africa, 18% from Europe, 6% from North America and 4% South America. About 40% of respondents are involved in footwear manufacturing (manufacturers) or footwear trade and distribution (traders) and the other 60% in other footwear-related activities, including education and research (14%), trade associations (12%), consultancy (9%) and other activities (25%).

Previous Editions of this Bulletin can be found HERE